With the final logo design selected I still wasn’t 100% satisfied. This was due to the text becoming too thin at small scales. To improve the logo I played with increasing the line width.
The current logo had a line width 1.618 8 (eight golden ratios) times smaller than the overall bounding box. First I tried increasing the line width by one golden ratio. This came out to be too thick. Ignoring the golden ratio I increased the original line width by 1.24. I was happy with the results of this new line width and settled on this as the final logo.
The WordPress theme I use makes it easy to upload a favicon. Having one of these makes the site look a lot more legitimate in the tabs bar. At 4mm the text on the full logo is only a pixel or two wide and doesn’t look good. I made a dedicated favicon using just the ‘N’ with the same style as the full logo.
I now have a final logo having gone through the brainstorming/research, down selection and refinement phases of the project. I have enjoyed the process as it has used artsy soft skills that contrast to the strictly technical work I am used to. While I am no means a great artist I am happy with the end result and will be very proud to put the logo on all of my work.